“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You have complete control over the direction that the rest of your life takes.
Humans are creatures of habit. Every day, we make simple decisions: what to eat, should we exercise, should I call my parents, should I read my book, etc. Are the decisions you are making helping your life? Or are they detrimental to your life? Are they bringing you closer to your goals? Or are you still a long time away from achieving those goals?
The Slight Edge, by Jeff Olson, walks us through a strategy to achieve success in anything we want in life. Do you want to lose weight? Well, first, you have to start. You have to be consistent.
A positive attitude helps keep you going. You will have to pay the price, and you may need to be committed for the long haul. It will be worth it!
Essentially, the slight edge is your philosophy of life. The slight edge is your driving force; your philosophy creates your attitudes, which creates your actions, which creates your results, which create your life. You should live your philosophy each day. By performing tasks which will are located on the path to your goals, you can achieve anything.
Your philosophy creates your attitudes, which create your actions, which create your results, which create your life.
Summary of The Slight Edge
We all know of the powers of the slight edge from personal finance: would you rather receive $1 million dollars today, or would you rather take a penny, but double it every day for a month?
The first day, you have 2 cents, the second day, you have 4 cents, the third day, you have 8 cents… two weeks in, you have $81.92. Well, guess what? At the end of the month, you end up with over $10 million dollars. You only started off with a penny, what happened? That’s the power of time and the slight edge.
Yes, you started off with a small amount, and for a long time, you didn’t have much, but 30 days later, boom, $10 million bucks – much more than $1 million!!!
Would you rather receive $1 million dollars today or would you rather take a penny and double it every day for a month?
With all books I read, I want to have takeaways and actions steps for my life.
I try to read a book every 5 days and if possible, multiple books in a week. It’s a goal to increase my perspective on the world, allow me grow and learn about different topics and subjects, and give me tips and strategies to live my life to the fullest. I want to stand on the shoulders of giants.
Going forward, I want to start growing my investment portfolio. Recently, I came across a new opportunity as a consultant where I can make some extra cash and I need to put my cash to work.
Since I’m only 24, I have a very long investment horizon and if I can start putting money away now, who knows what I’ll have in 30-40 years. Each and every day, I want to look at opportunities to invest; either in the real estate market, the stock market, or in alternative investments (such as businesses).
In addition to building an investment portfolio, I want to continue to post and grow The Mastermind Within. I fully expect things to take off as we stay consistent with our posting and trying to build a community of like-minded individuals focused on achievement and growth.
Finally, I want to approach every day as if it matters; I don’t want to waste another day. Last weekend, I ended up going out with some friends and had 1 or 2 too many drinks. While I didn’t get sick, I wasted multiple hours the next day due to be groggy, tired, and hungover. (I’m not going to sugar coat anything 🙂 ) I want to focus on sleeping at least 7 hours a day, and keeping my drinking to a minimum.
For you, if there is anything you want to accomplish in 2017 or in life, just take a step.
That’s all you can do initially. No one goes from 0 to 100 in a day. But, by going from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3, you can get there over time. It’s about taking baby steps to start and as you get more comfortable, you can increase the pace – in other words, you sometimes have to slow down to go fast!
Let compounding take over, and you’ll be successful.
“Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid of standing still.” – Chinese Proverb
Powerful Quotes from The Slight Edge
Here is a list of powerful quotes and blurbs from The Slight Edge: (well, a handful of them… the whole book has many powerful passages!!)
- What you do today matters. What you do every day matters. Successful people are those who understand that the little choices they make matter and because of that they choose to do things that seem to make no difference at all in the act of doing them, and they do them over and over and over until the compound effect kicks in.
- The secret of time is simply this: time is the force that magnifies those little, almost imperceptible, seemingly insignificant things you do every day into something titanic and unstoppable.
- In a world filled with instant coffee, instant breakfast, instant credit, instant shopping, instant information, and 24/7 news, we have come dangerously close to losing touch with reality and believing we have access to instant life. But life is not a clickable link.
- Successful people form habits that feed their success, instead of habits that feed their failure.
- Growth creates abundance, and that abundance in turn creates responsibility. The more success we have, the more greatness we step into and the more abundance we experience, the more responsibility we have to the world around us.
- Success doesn’t come out of nowhere. It can’t be conjured up out of thin air, brought to you by the genie from Aladdin’s lamp simply because you rubbed it and thought good thoughts. Success does come from a small beginning, often a beginning so tiny that it seems invisible and most people miss it. But there has to be a beginning.
- All true success is built from a foundation of study plus street smarts.
- “Knowledge without practice is useless and practice without knowledge is dangerous.” – Confucius
- You truly are the average of the five people you spend the most time with, in all aspects of your life.
- Show me where you fish and I’ll show you what you catch.
- “A group of like-minded, achievement-oriented individuals, can come together to create an association far greater than the sum of its parts, thus dramatically leveraging each other’s success.” – Napoleon Hill
- Living a life is being an entrepreneur – you, yourself, are the boss!
- Every decision you make is a slight edge decision.
What you do today matters. What you do every day matters. Successful people are those who understand that the little choices they make matter and because of that they choose to do things that seem to make no difference at all in the act of doing them, and they do them over and over and over until the compound effect kicks in.
The Slight Edge is a fantastic book and a great addition to my library. I plan to read it many times over in the coming years. It was a motivating, easy, and refreshing read.
As I mentioned above, my action steps after reading this book will be to continue to work diligently to post on this blog, keep up my reading and personal development, and to always realize that the actions that I take today affect the rest of my life. It is my personal recommendation everyone read The Slight Edge: you won’t regret it.
Readers: What daily habits do you have which have been beneficial to your success? Do you have any bad habits you want to get rid of? Have you experienced the compound effect in your life?
Become a MASTERMIND
Sign up for our mailing list and receive instant access to all the Mastermind Within freebies (tools, spreadsheets, and an eBook), and exclusive content.
Your future self will thank you.